Sunday, February 9, 2014

Winter

I think winter reminds us how little the world cares for us. It draws us on a blank piece of white paper, looks at us, grabs another piece of paper, and starts over.

I think it's incredibly basic for someone to say they care about something, even if they don't. It would be easy for me to reflect on my childhood, and recall the moments in my life that fueled my passion for therapy.  I think the hard part is to convince yourself that you don't care about something.

I had a client that was a high school student. She was a senior in high school, and my job was to help her figure out what she wanted to do for the rest of her life.
I knew when she saw me, her fears of not getting anything out of this were confirmed.
How could I help her? She doesn't know what she wants to do? No one does. No one is happy with what they want to do.
I've always thought religion existed because we're terrified of death. We don't want to think about the day that will come when we no longer exist. We push that thought away by convincing ourselves that we'll come back to life. Somehow. Besides from being the only common theme in every religion, it helps us to feel worth. Social Psychology calls it Terror Management Theory.
I think the same thing applies to our careers. We want there to be a job that we all are destined to have. Every person has a passion that will lead them to a job they will love forever.
And why would that be true? Why can we assume that every person has a job they will eventually have a passion for? Maybe we just want to believe that so that we feel some worth.

Pompous is the species that assumes every single one of it's animals has a special place on the earth.

This is the first post in my blog that will not be advertised on my facebook or twitter. I've realized I don't really feel satisfied knowing this blog is being read by others. I'm satisfied when I write in it.

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment