Thursday, February 5, 2015

(Former) Client

Currently I am a practicum student at Johnson County Department of Corrections Therapeutic Community. It is a 6 month inpatient program for convicts with drug problems. As part of my graduate program, I spend 16 hours of my week on site providing therapy.

Last week, a client came forward to the staff and informed us that he had gotten his hands on methadone and used it. TC has a pretty strict "no drug use" policy, so he's probably getting kicked out. He was my client, so I had the opportunity to sit down with him for his last few hours at TC. 

I've worked in the mental health field for a few years now. Eventually, you tend to hear the same things from clients. Excuses for their behaviors, Everyday events that cause them anxiety. Problem behaviors they want gone. But the conversation I had with this particular client was different from most. 

------------------

"There's no high like heroine. I'm sick of being a walking cliche. Every day saying the same thing. That I have the willpower to stay clean. Telling the other clients here that this time is different. But I always just end up eating my words. I've let down so many people in my life."

------------------

He'll probably die from drug use. Without this inpatient program, it's only a matter of time before he starts using again. So the only question is, "When?"

No comments:

Post a Comment