Thursday, January 22, 2015

Possibility of Ranch

The Superbowl is coming up. I know this because my clients told me they were going to watch it, and eat pizza. It was the first thing they told me when I began our group therapy session. Rumors flew about toppings. The possibility of ranch. They couldn't help but share with me their excitement.

Pizza is just one of those things. Their excitement reminded me of when I was a kid and my parents told me we were ordering pizza. My parents always got off work at 5. They would walk through the front door at around 5:10. Except on days we got pizza. We never ordered delivery, to save money. So one of them would have to go and pick it up, changing their arrival time to around 5:20. 

Small things make you happy when you're a kid. Or in jail.

--------------------

"I just..... feel like I don't belong here."

-------------------

I've never enjoyed scripts that are over-complicated. I've read a lot of scripts, the majority of them are by amateurs like me, hoping for feedback. Because of the nature of screenplays, it's easy to tell when the script is being forced. The story is getting pushed out of the writer's fingertips. 

Unnecessary use of complicated words makes you look insecure. I get the impression you're writing to be listened to. That you were writing, aware of how you sound to the reader. That you want to appear intelligent.

If you're telling a powerful story, your intelligence doesn't matter.

Powerful words aren't big words. They're words that make you feel something.

Recently I saw this status on Facebook.

-----------------

"It's funny almost, how fictitious one's contextual reality truly is. For people, places, and things can all be contrived from a dimension that only exists to one person, and the subsistence of this web from which it all came inevitably fluctuates and breaks, leaving only memories of things that never existed."

-----------------

Shortly after, I heard this from a client at my practicum site (an in-patient rehab for drug addicts in jail).

-----------------

"I don't think I can stay clean. I'm going to leave here and drugs are going to kill me."

-----------------

Words can be powerful. But the power doesn't come from their complexity. It comes from the emotions that carry with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment