Thursday, January 31, 2013

Perspective

I have this kid that's in kindergarten that I sit with during his school lunch. Every day he gets the same thing: PB&J, chocolate milk, and string cheese. He can never open his milk, so I always have to open it for him. When he eats his PB&J, he does it the exact same way every time. I would like to explain to you right now how he eats it.

First of all, he gets the frozen kind from Smuckers. You know, the kind that's circular. He always nibbles off the crust all the way around. He'll nibble a little bit off, hold it in his mouth, then gulp down some chocolate milk, swallowing the crust like a pill. I'm assuming he's attempting to avoid having to eat the crust. Finally, after the crust is gone, he has successfully tipped the bread to filling scale to incredibly favor the filling side. He stops for a second, looks at the sandwich, and prepares himself for the next few minutes of what he knows is going to be filled with nothing but peanut butter and jelly all over his mouth.

Then he destroys it.

Every time.

-------------------------------------------

"Have we really grown up that much?"

"Yup"

"I never realized."


-------------------------------------------

A lot of my older kids are obsessed with video games. They play them all the time. They always tell me how good they are, and how they could "totally beat me at so and so game!" I had a kid the other day state that not only is he the best at every video game ever, but that I "probably suck at video games because you look like you're uncoordinated with your hands."

Oh yeah, punk? drop in a disc of super smash bros, pick up a controller, and we're see who's left standing with their head held high, and who's left weeping the tears of their own self-doubting anxiety.

but no. Instead, I say,

"haha you're right. I'm probably not as good at video games as you! I bet you're awesome at them!"

I don't really play many video games anymore. I'm starting to find them kind of boring. For kids, video games are an escape. You leave the real world and pretend to be in another because this pretend world doesn't have the problems you have to deal with. Some kids, more than others, need to escape every now and then. Some kids would probably do everything in their power to avoid what they have to deal with in the real world. Who would take that away from them?

------------------------------------------

"Hey Ryan, can you buy me a sandwich?"

"I don't have any money, sorry."

"Oh okay. I just wanted to eat something today."

No comments:

Post a Comment